Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A NOT SO FINE WHINE.....

When it comes to torture, we could all learn a thing or two from kids. Who knows better than they how to extract most anything they want within minutes of applying the technique? I'm talking about whining, of course. That grating mewling that causes us to do anything (anything!) just to make it go away.

This has been especially true for me lately. It seems my 4 year olds whine about EVERYTHING whether they are talking to me OR each other. Thankfully Caden hasn't picked up on it yet but if the past is any indication, he's not far from doing so. He mimicks EVERYTHING they do before too long.

I have researched to find some fun ideas on how to stop the "FINE WHINE" in our home. Obviously telling them not to do it simply isn't good enough. The cool thing about young children is they can still be fooled by a clever trick, especially my boys! So.....here are some things I am going to try.....

*** A "whine" cup (bowl, bucket, whatever is at hand). Whenever one of them starts, I will say, 'Here, go pour out your whine and bring me your regular voice.' I hope it gets me a smile and a change in their tone." Then I can praise them for using a "pleasant" voice and hopefully help end the whining.

*** Although not as fun for the boys as going to find the "whine" cup is the ignore tactic. When my children complain, I say, 'I'm sorry, but when you talk in that voice, I can't understand anything you're saying. Use your normal voice and I'll try to listen to you.' Then I ignore them until they start to comply. This sometimes can result in something worse than whining...at least for me. For when I ignore my boys they get louder and louder until they are screaming at me and acting out to get my attention so then I am not only trying to correct whining but screaming! It can never be simple huh?

** I found out about what will be the next Children's book I purchase! "Peter and the Whimper-Whineys" by Sherrill S. Cannon is a story of a little rabbit who does nothing but whine. This rhyming book should be read with alternating normal voice and whining voice, according to the character speaking. Children learn that Whimper-Whineyland is not a fun place to be, not just for all the whining and crying that goes on but for all the other bad behavior and unpleasant character traits exemplified!!! The book can be found on amazon.com where there is the read-inside-the-book feature. My boys LOVE books so this book will without a doubt be finding it's way to me as fast as I can get it here! Stay turned for how it works!!!


Hopefully soon there will be on more "FINE WHINE" in this household except for the type that must be uncorked!


When life becomes uncorked, it’s ok to whine a little... but remember to laugh a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment