Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Dates On A Calendar

Last week, several dates were specially marked on my calender, not that I ever would forget them but because they are important....and for different reasons.....

August 29, 2011 - My Meme's birthday.  She would have been 77 this year. 

Oh how I remember her last birthday here with us.  2005.  What a year.  I was 20 weeks pregnant and had found out 2 weeks prior that it was twins. I was also on bed rest.  My MeMe had been suffering from severe dementia and many others illnesses, much more than she ever deserved.  She had a few good days and many bad days.  Her birthday in 2005...was a great day!  The whole family gathered at her home to celebrate her birthday.  She knew everyone and her mind was clear and sharp.  Almost as if she had never been sick.  Sadly, being on bed rest, I could not be there.  However, I was able to call her and wish her a happy birthday and tell her how much I loved her.  I was also able to tell her, for the first time, that I was expecting twins.  My MeMe was a mother of twins and had anxiously been awaiting someone in our immediate family to have them too.  I was thrilled to be able to tell her and for her to actually understand.  "MeMe guess what?!  I am having twin boys!"  I am told MeMe's face lit up in a HUGE smile and she tells the family members who were all gathered around her "My granddaughter is having twin boys!".  She was so happy.  I'll never forget that phone call; the joy in her voice at my news - the joy in my heart because I got to tell her the big news.  Oh how my MeMe loved babies!

Sadly, that was MeMe's last "good" day.  Her condition took a huge turn for the worse, seemingly overnight.  I was able to come and see her a couple days later.  I called my doctor and explained the situation.  She allowed me to travel from Middletown to Shelbyville to see my MeMe.  I had to totally recline my seat in the car so that I was practically laying down on my back in the front seat.  I didn't care how I had to get there, I just had to get there.  I'll never forget walking in the door and going to her bedside.  She was sleeping and when I said, "Hi MeMe. I'm here" she smiled and opened her eyes and mouthed that she loved me.  She was weak and needed rest so I just sat by her and held her hand. That was the last moment I was able to spend with her.

My MeMe passed away on September 2, 2006 surrounded by her 6 children and many grandchildren. I wasn't able to be there but I knew that she knew I loved her. She knew we all loved her.  We adored and admired her. She was the most amazing woman I had ever known.  I have never met a more christian, loving, understanding, kind, patient, God-fearing woman in my life.  In all my years, I had never heard her speak a mean or unkind word about anyone. She would give you her last dime. She gave people, even those she didn't know, shelter, food, money.  She raised 6 kids alone.  Honestly, I can't put into words just how wonderful she knows.  Those of you who knew my MeMe, Nancy Cox, you know what I mean.  She was beyond amazing.  Just this weekend my dad and I were talking to my Aunt Marlene about how we all still have MeMe on a pedestal.  If ever a person was perfect, it was she.  So was truly extraordinary in every single day.  And not a day goes by that I don't miss her so badly my heart hurts.  I wish my boys could have known her.  I have no doubt she has always been watching over them.  So often I wish I could pick up the phone and call her or drop by and see her.  So many times I have needed her strength and wisdom and her love.  I miss her so much. Her smell. Her smile.  Her laugh.  Her hugs and kisses. That twinkle in her eye.  She was like no other.  MeMe, I am so thankful to have been your granddaughter.  I miss you like you just left us yesterday.  I feel you with me and I know I will see you again one day.  I love you a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck!


Christmas 1993


My College Graduation 1998


Bubby and MeMe Christmas 2005



This past weekend we celebrated another amazing woman in my life, my mom.  It was her birthday on Sunday.  The boys made her cards and a key chain.  We had cake and spent time with this wonderful woman in our life.  My mom is my VERY best friend in the world.  There has never been a time in my life that my mom wasn't there for me!  Since the moment I was put on bed rest in 2006, we have been together nearly every day since.  She has been there with me nearly each and every day.  These special years I have treasured. We have had such fun and made such memories being a SAHM (stay-at-home mom) and SAHN (stay-at-home-NaNa

HAPPY BIRTHDAY NANA!
WE LOVE YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment