Thursday, April 5, 2012

JUST LOVE THEM - MAUNDY THURSDAY

The disciples were undoubtedly shocked and amazed when Jesus took up the basin and the towel and began to wash their feet.  He was their master!  He was their Lord!  Foot washing is just not something that masters do.  Imagine your surprise if you saw President Obama washing someone's dirty, calloused and cracked feet.  What would you think if you saw Queen Elizabeth giving someone a pedicure?

In the days of Jesus, foot washing was typically done by the servants of one’s household, and it wasn’t exactly a glamorous job.  I can only imagine how the conditions of one's feet, after walking mile and miles in sandals or even barefoot on dusty roads, must be .   To wash someone’s feet was an act of hospitality and care.  It was also an act of servitude and humility.  No wonder Simon Peter told Jesus, “You will never wash my feet.”  Not Jesus.  Not his master.  Not ever.  Still, there Jesus was with his wash basin and his towel.  He knelt in front of them one by one and washed their feet, calluses and all.

When he was done, he told them why.  “I’m setting an example for you,” he said.  “You also should do what I have done to you.”  In that moment, I wonder if the disciples finally ‘got it’.  They had been hand-selected by Jesus from the crowds.  From the smelly dregs of farms and boat docks he had called them, and given new meaning to their lives.  With him they were something special.  He had elevated them above the plow and the fishing net… or so it seemed.

The disciples were special.  Jesus, however, did not call them from the crowds of farmers and fishermen so that they would enjoy a greater status.  Jesus called them to serve, to carry on his ministry after he would depart the earth.  And we can almost hear the disciples asking, “What in the world are we going to do?”.  I can only believe that God's reply was something along the lines of "Just Love Them."

When I think back to the births of both of my own sons, I remember holding each little bundle in my arms and seeing them face-to-face for the first time.  Suddenly, I was a mother.  The moment I held each swaddled bundle of joy, my world had immediately changed.  While certainly overcome with joy and elation, I also had a healthy does of anxiety and uncertainty mixed in.  Each of those amazing events was one of those moments where I asked God “What in the world am I going to do?”  Once again, the answer came:  “Just love him.”

I think that’s really Jesus’ message to his disciples, too.  He’s preparing them for a time when he will no longer be with them, and they’ll be the ones doing ministry.  They’ll be the ones standing in front of the crowds of people, staring right into the faces of sinners of all shapes and sizes, all suffering from their own brokenness and longing to be whole people.   The disciples without Jesus will have plenty of those “What in the world are we going to do?” moments.  But then they will remember Jesus, with his wash basin and towel.  They’ll remember his example of how he expects them to treat other people.  It’s like he’s saying, “See?  It’s simple.  I’m sending you out into the world, into those crowds of people from whom I called you.  Your job?  Just love them.”

In the days and weeks and months that follow, you will undoubtedly see people look a lot like their ideal selves.  In those times they'll seem every bit like the clean-footed persons!  You will also undoubtedly see situations in which people's feet look a little dirtier.  Around you will be people whose spirits are disheartened and weary.  They’ll be dry, and cracked, calloused and worn.  You may find yourself wondering…  What in the world am I going to do?
And once again the answer will come.

"JUST LOVE THEM"

Every Easter season, I always find myself thinking back to the night the diciples shared their final meal with Jesus....THE PASSOVER.
I try to put myself in their shoes.  What the disciples must have been thinking.  How confused, worried and scared they were for themselves and for Jesus. The questions and doubts running through their minds.

How horrible Judas and Peter must have felt when they learned that they would deny and betray Him. I don't think that seated at the table with Jesus they could even believe that they would turn from him. At the time it must have felt inconceivable to each of them.


I can't comprehend the power of emotion in the room that night with Jesus.  He was their leader....their master....their FRIEND....their JESUS!  And he was telling them he was going to leave them....that he was going to suffer and bleed and die on the cross and bear the burden of the world on his shoulders. That even their lives could be in danger as well because they follow HIM and believe in HIM. 

And to be Jesus. 

To know your time is near.  To know you will be hated, scorned, abused, beaten and spat upon.  That you will be suffering inconceivable pain and agony.  Yet you love YOUR FATHER, Our GOD enough to trust him.  You love all of the world enough to give of yourself, your life, to offer us the option of eternal life.   Even now...it's so powerful to me to know that GOD loved me enough to give his life for ME.  My Savior suffered and died......FOR ME! For all of us.  He LOVED us that much!!!  How then can we not show that love to others?!  How then can we not go and tell EVERYONE his story!?  Even at our WORST the answer HE has always given is  "JUST LOVE THEM".  GOD send his son to DIE FOR US....WHY?  BECAUSE HE LOVES US.  He has made each of us...we are his children.  He LOVES us even more than we love our own children.  Jesus chose to SUFFER and to DIE for us...why.....Because he LOVES us. 

How powerful is that!  How special we are!  What a life we have been given that we can chose to follow HIM and have everlasting life!! 

I wish we had Maundy Thursday service at churches as they did when I was growing up.  To go to church and share passover on such a momentous occasion.  To remember and reflect on the final night between Jesus and his disciples.  To lead into the final days of OUR SAVIOR. 

I hope that during Easter you can find time to think, as I do, about the days leading to Jesus' death.  To pray and to reflect upon what that means for us and in our own individual lives. 

Joe and I watch THE PASSION every Easter weekend to remind us how much Jesus suffered for US. 


Luke 22:19
19 And He took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me.”
Luke 22:20
 20 In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you."

THE FINAL PASSOVER

No comments:

Post a Comment