Monday, August 22, 2011

Goodbye Friend

It REALLY hurts to see a close friend or relative die. It spurs something deep inside you that says, "It's not supposed to be like this... One minute my world was 'normal' and the next...unbearable..." Things like this make everything else seem...small...and...insignificant...

That was how I felt Saturday morning upon learning that a fellow classmate of mine had died unexpectedly.  He was only in his 30's.  He had a wife and young son who is barely a toddler. Now he is gone, leaving them behind.  No one even saw this coming. Instead of planning day to day life as a family, Jessica is having to plan her young husband's funeral.  Poor little Cooper will never even know his wonderful father.  It's so hard to make sense of Tylan's death.  It has been weighing heavily on my heart since I learned the news.

You repeatedly hear that they are "in a better place" and that you should "remember the good times." Though that may be true, it doesn't always offer comfort.  I am sure they wouldn't comfort Jessica.  I am sure she just wants her husband back and her family once again complete. I am praying that GOD helps me find something to say to her that brings her comfort, if even for a moment.

 I believe Jesus weeps for those affected by the loss of a loved one. Because of that, Christ's preparing a place for those of us who have put our trust in Him where this kind of stuff will never happen again. Christ has victory over death and this is NOT our home!!! Every tear will be wiped away and we will spend eternity in the Father and Son's presence! We won't even need the sun anymore, because THEY will be our Light!

All of that to say...yeah...it hurts. It's okay to hurt...and knowing the truth isn't going to make it not hurt. However, our hope is in the resurrection!  If you have put your trust in Christ, then you too will see your Christian loved ones again...and better than ever! Our hope is in knowing that we'll be in the presence of the Father and Son for eternity, where none of this happens! And THAT is the hope for which we can all find peace and comfort and understanding in times like these.  This isn't a FINAL goodbye.  There will be a time we are with those we love once again.

How we thank God, who gives us victory over sin and death through Jesus Christ our Lord!
So, my dear friends, be strong and steady, always enthusiastic about the Lord's work, for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is ever useless. Even in death, God is at work, preparing a better life for us and those we love. 

To Jessica:  I have known you for so long.  I can only imagine what you must be going through.  Please know my love, thoughts and prayers are with you.  I am only a phone call away.  You are NEVER alone.  I want so badly to find the words to say to help comfort you but I just think everything sounds lame.  I have a wonderful ear for listening and a comfy shoulder for crying should you ever need them.  I again am so sorry for your loss.  Your time with Tylan was too short but I am thankful you had one another to love and that you have the wonderful memories you created together.  You also have that wonderful little boy who will no doubt keep you moving on day by day and will be your constant piece of Tylan here on earth.  I love you my friend and I am so so sorry.

To Tylan:
It will be so hard for so many of us to say goodbye. Especially for your wonderful family. You were a part of many lives and many memories.  It is in those memories that you will live on in everyone's hearts.  I am so sad that your life was cut so short when you had so much more to see and do and experience.  My heart breaks for Jessica and Cooper.  I know you will be with them in spirit and you will never miss a moment of little Cooper growing up.  You will have the best seat in the house to watch his life unfold.  We'll all miss you and you'll never be forgotten.  Rest In Peace dear friend.  Until we meet again.....

1 comment:

  1. Sherrie RothenburgerAugust 22, 2011 at 2:03 PM

    Great words, Krystal. I have known him since we were at Cropper together for elementary school. It just breaks my heart for Jessica and Cooper. Though we hadn't spoken in years, I know he was a great man because he was a great guy all those years ago. My prayers go out to all his family, especially Jess. I know that he will be looking down and keeping a close eye on them both.

    ReplyDelete